A Musical Comedy in 2 acts, 22 scenes. Book by Mel Brooks; (based on the novel Professor Fodorski by Robert Lewis Taylor. Music by Charles Strouse. Lyrics by Lee Adams.
Winter Gardens, Broadway - 19 February , 1962 - (80 perfs)
The composers of Bye, Bye, Birdie have written another musical: this one set at a small, football-oriented college. Professor Fodorski arrives with other immigrants singing a naturalisation rag with such lines as Make us Hungarians/Into Rotarians/Change us Romanians/To Pennsylvanians. Frantic to please, Professor Fodorski finally reaches his sports minded students by stating his engineering concepts in football terms and, in the course of demonstrating a principle, turns a mousy student drudge named Bricker into a phenomenal kicker. (Your hip is the fulcrum, multiply by the force of the lever, your knee.) The team becomes a sensation, as do Bricker and the astonished Professor. This show makes a comment on education today by putting it in terms of a bright and marvellous musical comedy. This musical has one of the most beautiful love songs ever written for a musical, the haunting Once Upon a Time.
Cast: 6m., 6w., flexible chorus
Airline Stewards; Immigration Officers; travellers, tour guides, etc.
Scenes and Settings
Scene 1: Idlewild Airport, (New York). Today.
Scene 2: New York and Panorama of America.
Scene 3: Dean's Office, S.B.I.T. (Southern Baptist Institute of Technology)
Scene 4: Football Field.
Scene 5: Classroom, S.B.I.T.
Scene 6: On the Campus.
Scene 7: Classroom, S.B.I.T.
Scene 8: Front Porch of Elizabeth's House.
Scene 9: Front Porch of Girls' Dormitory.
Scene 10: Susan's Room in Girls' Dormitory.
Scene 11: On the Window of Susan's Room.
Scene 12: Locker Room.
Scene 13: Football Field and Stadium.
Scene 1: Office of Exploiters Unlimited.
Scene 2: Exterior and Interior of Union Building, S.B.I.T.
Scene 3: Fodorski's Seduction.
Scene 4: On the Campus.
Scene 5: Office of Fodorski Foundation.
Scene 6: Bricker's Room in Boys' Dormitory.
Scene 7: On the Campus.
Scene 8: The Cotton Bowl.
Scene 9: Classroom, S.B.I.T.
- Melt Us - Fodorski, Immigrants
- What a Country! - Fodorski, Company
- Our Children - Fodorski, Elizabeth
- Animal Attraction - Susan, Edwin
- Our Children (reprise) - Fodorski, Elizabeth
- We Speak the Same Language - Fodorski, Edwin
- I Can Teach Them! - Fodorski, Elizabeth, Edwin, Professor Dawson
- It's Fun to Think - Fodorski, Professors, Students
- Once Upon a Time Fodorski, Elizabeth
- Nightlife - Susan, Girls
- I've Just Seen Her Edwin
- Once Upon a Time (reprise) - Susan
- Physical Fitness - The Football Team
- The Fight Song - Fodorski, the Football Team
- What A Country! (reprise) - Fodorski, Company
- I Couldn't Have Done It Alone - Edwin, Susan
- If I Were You - Fodorski, Elizabeth
- Have a Dream - Fodorski, Henderson, Company
- I've Just Seen Him (reprise) - Susan
- I'm Fascinating - Fodorski
- Once Upon a Time (reprise) - Elizabeth
- The Real Me - Elizabeth
- It's Up to Me - Fodorski
- The Fight Song (reprise) - Fodorski, Company
- It's Fun to Think (reprise) - Company
Original Cast Recording - Sony Broadway SK 48216