A romantic musical in 3 acts, Book and Lyrics by Eric Maschwitz & Gilbert Lennox: Music by Jack Strachey.
Directed by Charles Goldner; Musical Director: Walter Stiasny; Choreography: Pauline Grant; Scenery: Leon Davey; Costumes: Jeanne Cochrane
Produced at the Saville Theatre under the management of Leslie Henson and John Buckley 25 March, 1949. Transferred to the Strand Theatre 20 June, 19. Closed 16 July, 1949 (131 perfs)
A romantic musical comedy - the story of a gallant 19th century girl who joins an army masquerading as her cousin who is too cowardly to volunteer. She falls in love with her colonel.
Cast: 14 Male; 8 Female plus Chorus
Matt (a soldier) - Victor Ranger/out
Corporl Peregrine (of the Wootton faction) - Jerry Verno
Mistress Peregrine - Irene Lister
Squire Wootton (father of Belinda) - Bill Stephens
Prudence - Deidre de Payer
Phillida - Janice Lothian
Belinda Wootton (a young lady) - Adele Dixon
Romilly Wootton (her cousin) - Geoffrey Hibbert
Corporal Crunch (of the O'Malley faction) - Peter Yardley
Sir Patrick O'Malley (a neighbour) - Frank Tilton
Colonel Miles O'Malley (son of Sir Patrick) - John Battles
Captain Faversham - (an Officer of Miles' regiment) - Manfred Priestly
Lieutenant Ormsby - Geoffrey Paddison
Belle Barrow (a vulgar actress) - Daphne Anderson
Moll Tiplady (an actress) - Phyllis Hunter
Annie Ogle-Eyes - Stella Moray
Sgt. de Marennes - Ivor Beal
Duc de Frisac (commanding the French garrison) - Ferdy Mayne
Lafarge - David Lopian/Victor Ranger
Madame Lafarge - Madoline Thomas
Picot - David Croft
Armand - Geoffrey Paddison
Julian Harris, Fred Dixon, Arthur Robins, Eileen Bradley, Avril Vane, Jean Llewell: Peggy Hahn, Barbara Silverius, Olga d'Este, June Mitchell, Alma Dean, Joy Kennedy-Russ Xander Haagen, Ricardo Davies, Danny Duggan, Edward Fowles, Raymond Pletz, Sol Sieg] Kenneth Luckman.
playing variously SUSSEX VILLAGERS, SOLDIERS, DUTCH MAIDSERVANTS, ACTRESSES, FRENCH DRAGOONS, etc., etc.
- OPENING CHORUS:(with solo - Sergeant) - "Off to the Low Countree"
- QUARTET:(Landlady, Doctor, Parson & Sergeant) - "The Golden
Days of Good Queen Anne"
- COUNTRY DANCE: (tempo Roger de Coverley)
a: Exit Chorus - "Off to the Low Countree"
- TRIO: (Belle, Moll, Annie & Chorus of Ladies) - "The Gay
Little Ladies of Drury Lane"
- DUET: (Peregrine, Annie & Chrous) - "Women and Men"
- SONG: (Belinda and Chorus) - "I Dreamed I Was at Home Again"
- TRIO: (Belinda, Squire & Peregrine) - "Love! Love! Love!"
a: Entrance of Sir Patrick
- SONG: (Miles & Male Chorus) - "A Fool There Was"
- FINALE ACT I: (Miles, Belinda and Company)
- SONG: (Matt with Male Chorus of Soldiers) - "The Lilac Tree"
- SONG: (Peregrine with Chorus of Soldiers & Girls) - "Oh,
- DRINKING SONG: (Miles, Officers & Male Chorus) - "Good Madam
- SONG: (Miles) - "A Fool There Was" (Reprise)
- SONG: (Belinda and Chrous) - "No Love, No Heartbreak"
a: ENTRANCE OF ACTRESSES
- SONG: (Belle & Chorus) - "The Ballad of Nellie Gwynne"
a: DANCE: - Tarantella
b: ENTRANCE of BELINDA
- DUET: (Miles and Belinda) - "Still Dreaming"
- FINALE ACT II (Ensemble)
- TRIO: (Sergeant, Corporal, Madeleine & Chorus) - "The Englishmen
- SONG: (Peregrine with Chorus of Soldiers & Girls) - "The
- SONG: (Belinda with Chorus & Dancers) - "Gay Dragoon"
a: EXIT MUSIC
- SONG: (Belinda) - "Heigho! That I Should Fall in Love"
a: ENTRANCE of De FRISAC
- DUET: (Miles & Belinda) - "Still Dreaming" (Reprise)
- SCENE LINK and DUET: (Belinda & Miles) - "I Dreamed I Was
At Home Again" (Reprise)
- BATTLE MUSIC Assault on Venloo
- FINALE ACT III - (Miles, Belinda & Company)
- FINALE ULTIMO - (Full Company)
Revised ACT III
- TRIO: (Sergeant, Corporal, Madeleine & Chorus) - "The
English Are Barbarians"
- CHORUS: (Marennes & Dragoons) - "Gay Dragoon"
a: EXIT MUSIC & DANCE - "Camp Followers"
b: SCENE LINK & REPRISE - "Gay Dragoon"
c: ENTRANCE of De FRISAC
- SONG: (Belinda) - "Heigho! That I Should Fall In Love"
- DUEL MUSIC
- SCENE LINK and REPRISES: (Belle, Moll, Annie & Actresses) -
"The Gay Little Ladies of Drury Lane" and "The Low
- CHORUS and DANCE: "Let's Be Merry"
- ENTRANCE OF SOLDIERS
- FINALE ACT III: (Miles, Belinda and Company)
- FINALE ULTIMO - (Full Company)