Free To Be You and Me
Originally a TV musical: Adapted for the stage by Douglas Love and Regina Safran from Marlo Thomas' book of the same name; contributions by many writers.
ABC Theatre March 11, 1974
Marlo Thomas' renowned book guides girls and boys to who they could be, rather than who they should be. Life-enhancing themes blend with music and humour to expand children's horizons, enabling them to invent their own futures without limitation, while dispelling some old constraints and worn-out conventions in the process. Now available onstage for the first time - something for the free spirit in every adult and wise soul in every child.
- Boy Meets Girl - William & Janet
- Let's Hear It For Babies! - The Company
- When We Grow Up - Janet & William
- William's Doll - Janet, William & Richard
- My Dog Is A Plumber - William & Janet
- Parents Are People - Janet & William
- The Pain And The Great One - Vickie & Richard
- Glad To Have A Friend Like You - William, Janet & the Company
- Ladies First - William, Vickie & the Company
- It's All Right To Cry - William, Vickie, Richard & the Company
- Atalanta - The Company
- No One Else - The Company
- Free To Be ... You And Me - The Company
- 2 Women
- 2 Men
Singing-Dancing ensemble of 6 (can be expanded to include a chorus, babies, tigers, racers, people of the kingdom, etc.)
- Vickie - strong-willed, centered and demanding.
- Janet - kind-hearted and a loyal friend to William.
- Richard - reluctant to change and afraid to display his emotions.
- William - sensitive and open.
Reed I (piccolo, flute, tenor sax), Reed II (piccolo, flute, alto sax), horn, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, acoustic guitar db. bass guitar, drums, percussion, piano db. celeste/organ, 2 violins, cello