A Musical in 2 Acts, 12 Scenes. Book by Arthur Marx and Robert Fisher. (Suggested by the early lives of the Marx Brothers.) Music by Larry Grossman. Lyrics by Hal Hackady. Directed by Stanley Prager. Musical numbers staged by Marc Breaux. Production consultant, Groucho Marx. Settings by Peter Wexler. Costumes by Donald Brooks. Lighting by Jules Fisher. Musical direction and vocal arrangements by John Berkman. Orchestrations by Ralph Burns. Dance arrangements and incidental music by Marvin Hamlisch and Peter Howard. Associate producer, Peter N. Grad. Produced by Arthur Whitelaw, Max J. Brown and Byron Goldman.
Imperial Theatre, New York - 26 March, 1970 (80 perfs.)
Minnie's Boys provides a behind-the-scenes look at the early days of the Marx Brothers and their relationship with their mother, the driving force behind their ultimate success.
(in order of appearance):
Julie Marx (Groucho)
Leonard Marx (Chico)
Adolph Marx (Harpo)
Herbie Marx (Zeppo)
Milton Marx (Gummo)
Sam Marx (Frenchie)
E. F. Albee
Sandow, the Great
Miss Taj Mahal
Miss White House
Miss Eiffel Tower
- Five Growing Boys - Minnie Marx, Neighbours
- Rich Is - Al Shean, Minnie Marx, Sam Marx, Julie Marx, Adolph Marx, Leonard Marx, Herbie Marx, Milton Marx
- More Precious Far - Julie Marx, Herbie Marx, Adolph Marx, Minnie Marx
- Four Nightingales - Julie Marx, Adolph Marx, Herbie Marx
- Underneath It All - Maxie, Girls
- Mama, a Rainbow - Adolph Marx, Minnie Marx
- You Don't Have To Do It for Me - Minnie Marx, Julie Marx, Adolph Marx, Leonard Marx, Herbie Marx
- If You Wind Me Up - Minnie Marx, Julie Marx, Adolph Marx, Leonard Marx, Herbie Marx
- Where Was I When They Passed Out the Luck? - Julie Marx, Adolph Marx, Leonard Marx, Herbie Marx
- The Smell of Christmas - Julie Marx, Adolph Marx, Leonard Marx, Herbie Marx
- You Remind Me of You - Julie Marx, Mrs McNish
- Minnie's Boys - Minnie Marx, Company
- Be Happy - Minnie Marx, Adolph Marx, Leonard Marx, Herbie Marx, Milton Marx
- The Act - Julie Marx, Adolph Marx, Leonard Marx, Herbie Marx, Minnie Marx
- Finale - The Company
Scenes and Settings:
Scene 1: The Street.
Scene 2: The Marx Apartment.
Scene 3: Backstage Nagadoches.
Scene 4: Nagadoches Hotel.
Scene 5: School Act.
Scene 6: Onstage.
Scene 7: Backstage Chicago.
Scene I: Mrs. McNish's Boarding House.
Scene 2: Outside Palace Theatre.
Scene 3: Albee's Office. Scene
4: Minnie's Long Island Home.
Scene 5: Walnut Street Theatre.