Rapunzel! Rapunzel! A Very Hairy Fairy Tale
Book, Music and Lyrics By Janet Yates Vogt and Mark Friedman
Visit an enchanted fairy tale land with dragons, a handsome prince, an evil would-be Queen, a really great hair stylist, and that famous princess with the long, long, long hair! Hold on to your hair and prepare for a brand new magical musical re-telling of the classic fairy tale!
On the edge of glory, the evil Lady Za Za determines to rule the kingdom by keeping the beautiful Princess Rapunzel - with the long, long, long hair - trapped in a tower in the deep, dark, dank, dismal, dreary forest. It’ll be up to Sir Roderick and his hair stylist friend Edgar (who is on a quest to find the perfect head of hair) to rescue Princess Rapunzel and restore the kingdom - with the help of a slightly neurotic Gypsy Woman - isn't there one in every fairy tale? and a tired, yet witty, old dragon named Socrates - who has lost his poof!
- RAPUNZEL - A princess with extremely long hair trapped in a tower - who loves to sing, longs to be free.
- SOCRATES - An enchanted dragon - an older, bespectacled dragon, worse for wear - with an English accent, he has been enchanted so he cannot fly or breathe fire and must stay near to Rapunzel's tower all by a spell cast by Za Za.
- LADY ZA ZA (aka LADY ZAZALINSKY) - Rapunzel's Aunt, secretly the Wicked Enchantress who is outrageously dressed with over the top hair and makeup (in the style of Lady Gaga) and who always wears large a bright purple jewel on a necklace around her neck. She has been running the Kingdom as the Duchess but is obsessed with being Queen. NOTE: consider changing her hair/wigs at various times during the show.
- SIR RODERICK - A handsome young man seeking a worthy quest, he just doesn't know what it is yet.
- EDGAR - The greatest hair stylist in the kingdom and Sir Roderick's best friend.
- MAN EXTRA / KING - A peasant who in the final scene - is revealed to be the King, Rapunzel's father.
- WOMAN EXTRA 1 / QUEEN - A peasant who in the final scene is revealed to be the Queen, Rapunzel's mother.
- GYPSY WOMAN / WOMAN EXTRA 2 - A mysterious woman living in the forest, a cross between an older Fran Drescher and a hypochondriac Jersey Housewife, plus other doubled roles.