Saturday Night Fever
A Musical in 2 Acts, 19 Scenes.
Based on the Paramount/RSO Picture, based on a story by Nik Cohn. Screenplay
by Norman Wexler.
Stage adaptation by Nan Knighton, in collaboration with Arlene Phillips, Paul Nicholas and Robert Stigwood.
- Songs by the Bee Gees. (Brothers Gibb: Barry, Robin and Maurice)
- Directed and choreographed by Arlene Phillips.
- Scenic designer, Robin Wagner.
- Costumes designed by Andy Edwards.
- Broadway Costumes designed by Suzy Benzinger.
- Lighting by Andrew Bridge.
- Sound by Mick Potter.
- Musical director, Martyn Axe.
- Orchestrations by Nigel Wright.
- Dance and vocal arrangements by Phil Edwards.
- Associate producers, Manny Kladitis and David Rocksavage.
- Produced by Robert Stigwood.
Opened 21 October 1999 at the Minskoff Theatre and closed 30 December 2000 after 500 performances.
The show focuses on Tony Manero, a Brooklyn youth whose weekend is spent at the local discotheque. There he luxuriates in the admiration of the crowd and a growing relationship with Stephanie Mangano, and can temporarily forget the realities of his life, including a dead-end job in a paint store and his gang of deadbeat friends.
Original Broadway Cast
Swings: Anne Nicole Biancofiore, Kristoffer Cusick, Karl duHoffmann, David Eggers, Roger Lee Israel, Gina Philistine, Amanda Plesa, Marcia Urani.
Scenes and Settings
Time: 1976.or whenever you were 19. Place: New York City (Brooklyn and Manhattan)
Scene 1: The Neighbourhood. Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
Scene 2: The Manero House.
Scene 3: Outside 2001 Odyssey — Saturday Night.
Scene 4: Inside 2001 Odyssey — Saturday Night.
Scene 5: The Neighbourhood Paint Store.
Scene 6: The Manero House.
Scene 7: Dale Dance Studios.
Scene 8: The Neighbourhood.
Scene 9: Inside 2001 Odyssey — Saturday Night.
Scene 1: The Verrazano Narrows Bridge — Saturday Night.
Scene 2: Dale Dance Studios.
Scene 3: The Neighbourhood.
Scene 4: Stephanie's Apartment — Manhattan.
Scene 5: Bench overlooking Bridge.
Scene 6: The Neighbourhood.
Scene 7: Inside 2001 Odyssey — Saturday Night. The Dance Competition.
Scene 8: Exterior 2001 Odyssey — Saturday Night.
Scene 9: The Verrazano Narrows Bridge — Saturday Night.
Scene 10: Park Bench near the Bridge.
- Stayin' Alive - Tony Manero, the Company
- Boogie Shoes (Music and Lyrics by Harry Casey and Richard Finch) - Tony Manero, the Faces
- Disco Inferno (Music and Lyrics by Leroy Green and Ron `Have Mercy' Kersey) - Monty, the Company
- Night Fever - Tony Manero, the Company
- Disco Duck (Music and Lyrics by Rick Dees) - Monty
- More Than a Woman - Tony Manero, Stephanie Mangano
- If I Can't Have You - Annette
- It's My Neighborhood - The Company
- You Should Be Dancin' - Tony Manero, the Company
- Jive Talkin' - Tony Manero, Annette, the Faces, the Company
- First and Last - Bobby C.
- Tragedy - Bobby C.
- What Kind of Fool (Music and Lyrics by Barry Gibb and Albhy Galuten) - Stephanie Mangano
- Nights on Broadway - Annette, Stephanie Mangano, the Company
- The Dance Competition:
Open Sesame (Music and Lyrics by Robert Bell, Ronald Bell, George Brown, Charles Smith, Dennis Thomas) - Danced by Chester and Shirley
More Than a Woman - Danced by Tony Manero, Stephanie Mangano
Salsation (Music by David Shire) - Danced by Cesar, Maria
- Immortality - Tony Manero
- How Deep Is Your Love - Tony Manero, Stephanie Mangano
Additional music credits:
- A Fifth of Beethoven (Music by Walter Murphy)
- Also Spake Zarathustra (Music by Richard Strauss)
- Night on Disco Mountain (Music by David Shire)