Stop the World…
… I Want to Get Off
A New-Style Musical in 2 Acts. Book, Music and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley.
- Setting and lighting by Sean Kenny.
- Musical supervision, Ian Fraser.
- Musical director, Milton Rosenstock.
- Orchestrations by Ian Fraser with David Lindup. Burt Rhodes, Gordon Langford.
- John Broome's choreography restaged by Virginia Mason.
- Directed by Anthony Newley.
- Produced by David Merrick in association with Bernard Delfont.
Queen's Theatre London - 20 July, 1961 (485 perfs)
Sam S. Shubert Theatre, New York - Opened 3 October, 1962; transferred 9 September, 1963 - Ambassador Theatre,: closed 1 February, 1964 (556 perfs)
This thought-provoking piece by one of Britain's foremost writing teams of the 50s and 60s tells of the ephemeral nature of worldly success, where that success is achieved to the detriment of one's personal happiness, and one of the efforts of the hero, Littlechap, to apply some braking effect on the world which, for him, is spinning out of control.
Littlechap finds himself a father before his time. He agreed to marry Evie because it offered him certain business advantages. Now he succeeds in his position, but finds himself trapped in the responsibility of a premature family. He turns to the woman of the world but finds only empty fulfilment. In the twilight of his years he finally discovers that he has wasted his life looking for something that was before him all the time - his wife's true love.
CAST: Male 1: Female - 6 plus various minor roles and Chorus
Littlechap - good voice
Evie - his wife and continental lady friends all played by the same girl - good voice
Both main characters should be good pantomimists.
Twin Daughters - sing, minor dance
9 - 15 member girls' chorus who sing and dance
Scenes and sets
Multi-purpose set to resemble the inside of a European circus tent with 3 or 4 level risers around the circumference. In the centre is a draped arch entrance. Continuous action
- The A.B.C. Song - Chorus
- I Want To Be Rich- Littlechap, Chorus
- Typically English - Evie
- A Special Announcement - Chorus
- Lumbered - Littlechap
- Welcome to Sludgepool - Chorus
- Gonna Build a Mountain - Littlechap, Chorus
- Glorious Russian - Evie
- Meilinki Mailchick - Littlechap, Evie
- Family Fugue - Littlechap. Evie, Jane, Susan
- Typische Deutsche - Evie, Chorus
- Nag! Nag! Nag! - Littlechap, Evie, Jane, Susan, Chorus
- All American - Evie
- Once in a Lifetime - Littlechap
- Mumbo Jumbo - Littlechap
- Welcome to Sunvale - Chorus
- Someone Nice Like You - Littlechap, Evie
- What Kind of Fool Am I? - Littlechap
Bass; Reed 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5; Horn; Trumpet 1 & 2; Trombone 1 & 2; Percussion