An Operetta in 3 Acts. Book and lyrics by Eleanor and Herbert Farjeon. (Music by approximately 20 uncredited Victorian composers.)
- Staged by Marc Connelly.
- Music directed by Macklin Morrow.
- Settings by Robert Barnhart.
- Consultant on Victorian décor, Allen Saalburg.
- Costumes by Raoul Pene du Bois.
- Dances staged by Leslie French.
- Associate producer, Béla Blau.
- Produced by Marc Connelly.
Ambassadors Theatre, London - August 1936 (9 months). Revived 1952
Windsor Theatre - 31st May, 1938: closed 16th July, 1938 (55 perfs).
The story is one of lovers whose lives are complicated when flowers are delivered to the wrong recipients.
Kate Gill and her cousin, Laura, nearly lose their lovers as a result of a mix-up. The fault lies with Kate’s brother, Edward, a deplorable rake who becomes regrettably tipsy and mixes up the two bouquets entrusted to him by his friends, Julian and Albert. After much misunderstanding, all ends happily.
- Fly Forth, O Gentle Dove (I Sent a Letter to My Love) (Music by M. Pinsuti.) - Kate Gill
- Fly Forth, O Gentle Dove (reprise) - Kate Gill
- The Course of Nature - Mr Gill, Albert Porter, Laura Rivers
- A Little Champagne for Papa - Edward Gill, Kate Gill, Laura Rivers
- A Health to Dear Mama - Mr Gill, Kate Gill, Laura Rivers, Edward Gill
- Varsovienne - Ensemble
- The Bashful Lover (Music by C. Moulton.) - Albert Porter
- Ah, How Capricious - Julian Bromley
- The White and the Pink - Edward Gill
- The Man You Love - Laura Rivers, Kate Gill
- Dearest Miss Flo - Edward Gill, Flora Grantley
- Dearest Miss Flo - Edward Gill, Bella Manchester
- She Loves Thee - Laura Rivers
- Polka - Principals, Ensemble
- Galop - Principals, Ensemble
- Recitative - Mrs Gill
- Finale Act I - Principals, Ensemble
- Juanita - Kate Gill, Laura Rivers, Ensemble
- Sweet Blossoms (Music by M. Pinsuti.) - Laura Rivers, Kate Gill
- Young Girls and Young Men - Mrs Gill
- The Youth Who Sows - Edward Gill, Laura Rivers
- Kissing (recitative) - Albert Porter
- I'll Tell Papa - Kate Gill, Laura Rivers
- Git on de Boat, Chillun - Patty Moss, George, Men
- She Did the Fandango - George, Patty Moss, Men
- I Wish I Was in Texas - Mr Gill
- Pretty Patty Moss - Patty Moss
- Yes or No - Albert Porter, Julian Bromley, Mr Gill, Kate Gill, Laura Rivers, Patty Moss, George, Men
- Dearest Miss Bell - Edward Gill
- Finale Act II - Principals, Men
- Oh, the Regatta - Ensemble
- Toddy's the Drink for Me (Music from an Old Irish Folk Song.) - George
- Oh, the Regatta (reprise) - Ensemble
- When I Was But a Bounding Boy - Mr Gill
- Against the Stream - Albert Porter, Julian Bromley
- How Can We Bring the Old Folk Round - Albert Porter, Edward Gill, Patty Moss, Julian Bromley
- Rain Chorus - Ensemble
- What Can I Do? - Julian Bromley, Albert Porter, Kate Gill, Laura Rivers
- Her Lily-White Hand - Julian Bromley, Albert Porter, Mr Gill
- Finale — The Fireworks - Principals, Ensemble
- Edward Gill
Scenes and Settings
- Act 1: The Conservatory at Mr. Mrs. Gill's in Twickenham. A June evening.
- Act 2: The Gardens of the Gill house. Late that night.
- Act 3: The River Bank at Twickenham. The following day.