Music by Hans May: Lyrics by Alan Stranks: Book by Harry C. James. Revised and rewritten by Conrad Carter
A pseudo Viennese operetta about Austrian Archduke Franz Josef and his Empress Maria Theresa. There is a great deal of "the masked ball" and a naughty new dance called The Waltz.
Light and frothy the score and story was aimed firmly at the amateur market which cried out for such light-weight material but needing large choruses.
Of the film version Halliwell's Guide gives the following guide:
"At a Viennese ball an Empress poses as her masked friend to win a philandering count."
"A rather plodding operetta which also has an unattributed allegiance to Die Fledermaus"
(in order of appearance)
Count Prohaska - Chief Councellor of State
Cenci - His daughter
Count von Hofen - The Minister of Foreign Affairs
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Councellors - Four old men of the council
Trudi - A Lady in Waiting
Baron Ferdinand von Hohenloe - Prohtaska's Political Protégé
The Archduke Franz - The Empress's Consort
Maria Theresa - Empress of Austria
Stefan von Arnheim - A Lieutenant of the Royal Dragoons
Vogel - Host and Proprietor of the "Golden Lantern"
Anton - Innkeeper in a Mountain Village
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Court, Ladies in Waiting, Maids, Flunkeys, Royal Dragoons, Guests, Dancers at the "Golden Lantern", Villagers
- You Will Return to Vienna - Singer & full chorus
- The Minuet - Cenci, Prohaska and full chorus
- Love Is the Key - Franz
- Time Will Tell - Franz and girl's chorus
- Why? - Maria and girl's chorus
- Only To You - Maria and Franz
- L.O.V.E. Spells Love - Cenci and Stefan
- Call To Arms - Maria, Stefan and full chorus
- Wonderful Wine - Franz and full chorus
- Foolish Little Maiden - Cenci
- Waltz Time In Vienna - Dance
- The Heavenly Waltz - Maria, Franz and chorus
- I Can't Live Without You - Cenci, Stefan, Ferdinand
- Break Of Day - Franz
- Little White Horse Polka - Ferdinand and chorus
- Land Of Mine - Maria, Stefan and male chorus
Scenes and settinsg:
Act 1 - A state apartment in the Hofburg Palace in Vienna. Spring Morning
Act 2 - The "Golden Lantern", Vienna's gayest rendezvous. The same night.
Act 3 - Outside the inn in the mountains. The following morning