Wedding In Paris
A romantic musical play in 2 acts; Music by Hans May; lyrics by
Sonny Miller; Book by Vera Caspary
Opened London Hippodrome 3 April, 1954 (411 perfs). Starring Anton Walbrook as Jacques Devallée and Evelyn Laye as Marcelle Thibault
Little Angy from Saskatchewan makes her way across the Atlantic towards a Paris wedding with her childhood sweetheart. On the way she meets divorcée Marcelle Thibault, the dashing businessman Jacques Devallée and an impudent, but attractive, newspaper reporter called Paul. She finds out a good deal of life that she didn't learn in Saskatchewan. In Paris the wedding takes place - but it is Marcelle and Jacques on the one hand and Angy and Paul on the other who say "I do", before the cathedral altar.
(in order of appearance)
- SONG - A Wedding In Paris - Angy and Chorus - "A wedding comes once in a lifetime"
- SONG - Angy's Farewell - Angy and chorus - My heart is so full at this moment"
- SONG - It's News - Marcelle and Paul - "I'm a victim of the gapers"
- DUET - The French Lesson - Angy and Paul - "Pardon me please I'd like to ask you"
6a - In a Cosy Corner on the Upper Deck - Chorus - "We play games, many games on the ocean"
- Ship Ballet - Stewards and Passengers
- SONG - The Young In Heart - Jacques and chorus - "The young in heart are always young"
- Fairy Tales & Lovely Lady of the Sands - Jacques - "To my golden haired Madonna"
9a - CHORUS - Lovely Lady of the Sands - Chorus - "Lovely lady of the sands"
- MELOS - Bar Scene
- SONG - The Simple Things Of Life - Marcelle -"I've had my share of admiration"
11a - MELOS
11b - MELOS
- DUET - It Only Took a Moment - Angy and Paul - "It's funny when two people meet"
12a - MELOS and CHOIR (offstage) - "Time doesn't matter when you hear a love song sung"
- HARBOUR BALLET - We Are Here in the Harbour - Passengers - "We are here in the harbour"
- DUET - I Have Nothing To Declare But Love - Paul, Angy and Chorus - "I have nothing to declare"
- FINALE Act 1 - "Nothing to declare"
- PARIS BALLET
- ENSEMBLE - The Streets of Gay Paree - Chorus - "The streets of gay Paree"
- SONG - A Man Is A Man Is A Man - Marcelle and reporters - "All around the world I've travelled"
- CHORUS - Tourist Song - Chorus with La Toulouse & Mrs Pilchard - "Go to Paris"
- SONG - How Do I Know It's Love? - Angy and Girls - "How do I know it's love?"
- SONG - I Must Have Been Crazy - Paul - "I must have been crazy"
- SONG - Strike Another Match - Jacques - "I have treid to use a modicum of philosophy"
- PINK BALLET
- SONG - In the Pink - Marcelle and Chorus - "Everyone is dancing , love is in the air"
- REPRISE - It Only Took a Moment - Paul - "It only took a moment to fall in love with you"
- FINALE Act 2 - "How do know it's ;ove?"
- MELOS - "A Wedding in Paris"
Synopsis of Scenes:
Scene 1 - Angy's Front Porch, Hitchemup, Saskatchewan
Scene 2 - On Board SS Queen Anne
Scene 3 - The Sun Terrace of SS Queen Anne
Scene 4 - The Ship's Rail - SS Queen Anne
Scene 5 - The Bar SS Queen Anne
Scene 6 - The Ship's Rail SS Queen Anne
Scene 7 - The Customs Shed, Le Havre
Scene 1 - France
Scene 2 - A Paris Street
Scene 3 - Jacque's Library
Scene 4 - The Madeleine
Scene 5 - Marcelle's Drawing Room
Scene 6 - Paris
Scene 7 - A Boulevard
Scene 8 - Jacque's Library
Scene 9 - Marcelle's Garden
Scene 10 - Outside the Cathedral
Scene 11 - The Wedding