The Wizard of Oz
by L. Frank Baum adapted by John Kane from the motion picture screenplay for the Royal Shakespeare Company.
With music and lyrics from the MGM motion picture score by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg : Background music by Herbert Stothart
Barbican Theatre, London - 12 December, 1987
Revived - Barbican Theatre, London - 17 December, 1988. Transferred to Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-on-Avon - 2 February, 1989.
The first stage version of The Wizard of Oz was presented on 21 January, 1903 at the Majestic Theatre Broadway where it ran for some 293 performances. The Music at that time was composed by A Baldwin Sloane & Paul Tietjens with lyrics and Book by L. Frank Baum
Little Dorothy Gale of Kansas, like so many girls her age, often dreams of what may lie over the rainbow. One day a tornado hits her home town and carries her away to Munchkinland - at the end of the rainbow.
The Munchkins fete Dorothy as a heroine. Dorothy wants to go home to Kansas and seeks the help of the kind Sorceress of the North. Only the great Wizard of Oz, says the Sorceress, can help Dorothy get back to Kansas.
Dorothy persuades three friends to accompany her on the trip to the Emerald City to see the Wizard. They are Scarecrow, who lacks a brain, he thinks; the Tin Woodman, who has no heart, and the Cowardly Lion, who would like to have some courage.
The Wicked Witch of the West vows vengeance on Dorothy and does all she can to stop the friends getting to the Emerald City. But they do reach it, and manage to see the Wizard. He will only help them, he says, if they kill the Wicked Witch of the West, an apparently impossible task. They do succeed, they get all their wishes and the Wizard accompanies Dorothy to Kansas in a rocket ship.
The well-known score includes some of the best loved songs in the American musical pantheon.
Male - 10+, Female 8+ (plus large and varied cast of minor roles and Chorus)
- Overture - Orchestra
- Over the Rainbow - Dorothy
- The Twister - Orchestra
- Munchkinland - Glinda, Dorothy & the Munchkins
- If I Only Had a Brain - Scarecrow, Dorothy & Crows
- We're Off to See the Wizard - Dorothy & Scarecrow
- If I Only Had a Heart - Tin Man, Dorothy, Scarecrow & Trees
- We're Off to See the Wizard (Reprise) - Dorothy, Scarecrow & Tin Man
- If I Only Had the Nerve - Lion, Dorothy, Scarecrow & Tin Man
- We're Off to See the Wizard (Reprise) - Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man & Lion
- Finale Act I - Poppies - Glinda, Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion & Company
- The Merry Old Land of Oz - Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Guard & Company
- If I Were King of the Forest - Lion, Dorothy, Scarecrow & Tin Man
- The Jitterbug - The Jitterbugs, Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man & Lion
- Winkies March - The Winkies
- Over the Rainbow (Reprise) - Dorothy
- Ding, Dong, the Witch Is Dead - The Winkies, Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man & Lion
- Finale Act II - Tin Man, Dorothy, Glinda
Flute; oboe; cor anglais, reed 1, 2 & 3; trumpet 1 & 2; trombone; horn 1 & 2; drums; percussion; harp; violin 1 & 2; viola; cello; bass; piano & synthesiser.
Royal Shakespeare Company OLC - TER - CDTER 1165